Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 23:34:03 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Adam <element@Dim.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query:  How to tell if Microsoft is using BSD TCP/IP code?

Mark Valentine wrote:

> No.  The core SpiderTCP protocol implementation is _not_ derived
> from BSD.  Some of the utilities which were added as the product
> was developed came from Net/1 or Net/2 (hence the FTP.EXE copyright
> string), but others such as route and netstat were written from
> scratch, and the BSD utilities were modified to work over TLI and
> STREAMS (SpiderTCP is a STREAMS implementation, which is why
> NT had STREAMS at least until 4.0; they also used it for their OSI
> and X.500 implementation, even though that was not Spider's).
>
> The STREAMS TCP/IP implementation was later replaced (the way
> Microsoft wedged SpiderSTREAMS into NT was not pretty), but large
> chunks of the utilities remain.

THAT was the stack that was reportedly based on NetBSD 1.3.3.  The NT 5.0
(nee Windows 2000) Beta5 TCP/IP stack would be reported by various network
scanners as the NetBSD 1.3.3 stack, which led to widespread rumors that
the code was a port from NetBSD.  I suspect you would need to look at the
code itself to determine that is true, or get someone at Microsoft to tell
the truth.  Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

> (NOTE: this was never sockets over TLI like the stuff some UNIX
> vendors bought from a Spider competitor!)

*Cough*Lachman*cough*.

> SpiderTCP sockets used an old BSD API, but was a rewrite to work
> over a kernel STREAMS socket interface to the kernel TCP/IP drivers.

Neat hack.