Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:09:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        "sysadmin@mfn.org" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
Cc:        "'-Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: rdist oddity

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, sysadmin@mfn.org wrote:
> (2) I come from an SVR3/4 background, as you know, and I'm not
> used to having 3 files associated with my users: passwd, master.passwd,
> and pw.db (I may have that last one wrong, but you know what I mean).

If you're doing this to synch passwords across servers all you need
to copy is /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group  I copy ours to a holding
directory and then have cron run this as root from the holding area.

if [ -f group ]
then
    mv group /etc
fi
if [ -f master.passwd ]
then
    if /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -c master.passwd
    then
        chmod 600 master.passwd
        mv master.passwd /etc
        /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd
    fi
fi

> The .db file tripped me up!  That will take getting used to...  I will have to
> get out of the habit of direct edits, which, as we all know, is an atrocious
> habit anyway...

vipw

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com