Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:13:12 -0500
From:      Douglas Gilbert <dgilbert@interlog.com>
To:        "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   man page difficulties in FreeBSD 9

While testing my SCSI packages with FreeBSD 9 (e.g. sg3_utils
and smp_utils), the man pages have gone missing.

Using a standard "./configure ; make ; make install" everything
is placed in /usr/local as that seems to be the BSD way. The
executables are found in the /usr/local/bin directory but the
man pages go into the /usr/local/share/man directory which may as
well be a black hole since /usr/local/share/man is not on the
standard manpath.

There are lots of possible hacks to make this work, for example:
   ./configure --mandir=/usr/local
but that is ugly. My temporary solution is to add this file:
    # cat /usr/local/etc/man.d/expletive.conf
    MANPATH /usr/local/share/man

Can't remember this happening in FreeBSD 8.

Doug Gilbert