Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2012 23:06:49 +0000
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blackhole routes vs firewall drop rules

On 26 Feb 2012, at 21:14, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> El d=EDa Sunday, February 26, 2012 a las 01:05:11PM -0800, Julian =
Elischer escribi=F3:
>=20
>> On 2/26/12 5:34 AM, Bob Bishop wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>=20
>>> I'd like to hear from somebody who understands this stuff on the =
relative merits of blackhole routes vs firewall drop rules for dealing =
with packets from unwanted sources. I'm particularly interested in =
efficiency and scalability. Thanks
>>=20
>> the key is the word "from".  routes can only be selected on 'TO'=20
>> (destination) where
>> firewalls can select on any combination of header fields.
>=20
> I understand the idea of the OP as, based on the source IP addr, he
> wants to install routes that the resulting IP pkg to the source IP =
goes
> to "nowhere", i.e. not back to the origin IP and the 1st SYN is not
> answered back to the source IP;

Exactly. But would firewall drop rules be a better (more efficient) way =
to do that?

--
Bob Bishop
rb@gid.co.uk