Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2012 20:08:32 -0800
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        "Henry B." <cryptix@riseup.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon HD 4350 - no DRI / only Software Rasterizer under FreeBSD 9.0?

On 11/29/12 08:50, Henry B. wrote:

> It really feels like I'm running out of options and fear I have to go back
> to Linux until the KMS stuff blows over and more recent drivers arrive on
> *BSD.. Or get a NV replacement card..
>

> Thanks again and kind regards,
>
> Henry

I'm thinking your problem is card, motherboard, 9.1, or setup. I'm
posting from 10-CURRENT on an RV710.
The card is one of those silly OEM cards with the DVI-like connector
that needs a dual VGA dongle (ehh).

glxinfo | fgrep 'render'
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV710 9540)  TCL

It seems just fine here...but that doesn't mean much of course!
I might have asked this, but you didn't enable the KMS option in libdrm
right? I just want to rule out something obvious.

Otherwise it could be that some nonsense is happening in memory layout
(bad information or a bug in FreeBSD) and when DRM occurs bad things
happen. The original mtrr thread mentioned something about overlapping
write-back regions that Linux can use but FreeBSD can't or won't...not
sure if related. See man memcontrol, I'm not sure I fully grok that
thread, but that would be the command to see if it affects you.

Another possibility is that the card has some quirk that is ignored by
KMS but is somehow critical for UMS, not sure there. This could be
supported by the spurios Linux bugs for UMS users...perhaps not all
rv710 are equal (Sapphire, XFX, Gigabyte, ASUS, I'm sure they have their
quirks)

The final possibility is that it's something with 9.0 or your setup that
isn't working. You seem to know what you're doing and are following the
handbook, so I'm not going to rush to that conclusion.

If you have a spare disk or USB drive you could try 9.1 or 10 and see if
your issue is resolved. Do you have another box you can move this disk
and gfx card to and see if it's just the board being lame?

Matt