Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2012 16:33:57 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Claude Buisson <clbuisson@orange.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10-CURRENT and 9-STABLE snapshots

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Claude Buisson <clbuisson@orange.fr> wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 14:46, Jakub Lach wrote:
>>
>> "Any questions and suggestions are welcome. Contact hrs@FreeBSD.org."
>>
>> But good catch, if your reasoning is indeed correct.
>>
> Honestly, my message was also a test about the current state of the svn to
> cvs
> gateway. Is it down without nobody taking care ? or have it been killed
> without
> a proper announcement ?
>
> I have migrated to svn, and I "enjoy" the following "benefits":
>
> - I had to install a complete VCS I have no (other) need of,

Unfortunate, but not hugely significant (Just a bit of  disk space).

> - compared to cvsup, the svn update logs are too terse, and need to be
> sorted,

Pipe the output into sort or write a script in your favorite language
to do what you want with the output. I do the latter. Script took 15
or 20 minutes to write and test.

> - the response times of svnweb.freebsd.org are nearly unbearable, at least
> from
> my small european village,

Can't comment since I'll admit that I am pretty close to the source. I
certainly expect more mirrors to appear fairly soon. Two is not
enough. And svnweb.freebsd.org is not the best place to go from
Europe. Set it to use svn://svn0.us-east.freebsd.org and things should
improve. (Actually, snvweb is not a good place for anyone to go. It is
the web server for svn, but is not the direct source. us-west and
us-east are.

> - the disk usage more than doubled, but GBytes are cheap as say those who do
> not pay with their own wallet,
> - my backups take now a too loooonnnggg time

svn should add about 85% to 100% to the storage required. My /usr/src
for 9-stable went from about .9G to about 1.8G. Certainly csup used
less space for its metadata, but I don't see this as a huge issue. And
I do pay from my own wallet. I have a 750 GB system disk on this
system and adding 1G is just not that big a deal. If you are seeing
substantially more spec uded, sounds like something is wrong. I am
assuming that you are NOT mirroring the archive. That would be like
mirroring CVS, not using csup and would use  LOT more space.

As to backup time, it should be about proportional to the size of the
backup, so adding 1G should increase backup time by less than a minute
assuming a modern, local disk as the backup device. And, since you can
download the source and ports trees any time you want, it's really not
necessary to back it up, but many backup systems may limit the ability
to not back it up. I do back up mine, though I could exclude it.