Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 22:49:05 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple cd drives, how to...

As Søren Schmidt wrote:

(I misunderstood your question before.)

> See :), as I understand it, there is no support in the SCSI cd driver
> for this, its supposed to be handeled by the "changer" device which
> reacts to ioctl commands (can you spell ugly)..

I wish it would.  The SCSI-2 medium changer interface would have been
the cleanest (and _not_ the ugliest) way to handle this.  Alas, SCSI
vendors went the route to make CD-ROM changer devices look like
multiple CD-ROM drives on multiple LUNs.  The actual changing is done
automatically.

This seems to be a bright idea -- until you start using such a beast
in a multiuser/multitasking environment.  There's no way to lock a
medium in the drive (PREVENT ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL will only lock the
medium inside the entire device), so if you start concurrent accesses
to the virtual CD-ROM drives, it simply goes thrashing.  It takes 20
seconds to swap a medium, then it reads a block or two, then it swaps
for the next medium, then it reads a block or two,... you get the
picture.  You can't blame the driver for this: it has been told there
were multiple drives.

Using the changer approach (which is standardized by SCSI-2) would
have been _so_ much better, since you get control about when to change
the medium.

> I like phk's idea (and my inital thought), of the driver allocating
> so many minors as the device supports slots, and then let the
> driver shuffle the CD's as needed...

The cd driver simply allocates new devices for them, they show up as
cd0 through cd6 (for a 7-disk changer).

--
cheers, J"org