Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 1997 20:40:51 -0700
From:      vanmaren@fast.cs.utah.edu (Kevin Van Maren)
To:        mestery@cobber.cord.edu, smp@csn.net
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 486 SMP

Well, I actually have access to a pre-smp specification 486 system.
Made by VTECH, btw.  I have sufficient information to get the non-smp
compliant parts working, but...

The big problem is where the APICs are mapped.  There are 3 APICS in
a Dual Processor system, and in this box they are all at different
addresses (In SMP-compliant systems, the processor APICs are all at the
same address).  It's not as though they could just be re-mapped,
since they are all under 1MB and in the same page.

Basically, as long as no-one ever tries to get the processor ID drom
the APIC, it should work (You need the processor ID to know what
the address of the APIC is).  I did write some probe code tha finds the
system, but I never tried to bootsrtap the AP (It is slightly different
than in a Pentium system).

Kevin

--
Kevin T. Van Maren