Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 23:28:05 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        jgowdy@home.com, seanp@loudcloud.com, vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Cc:        lplist@closedsrc.org, kris@obsecurity.org, mwlist@lanfear.com, freebsd@sysmach.com?, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the AMD factor in FreeBSD

> > Athlons have larger L2 Cache I believe than the Durons,
>
>That is the only difference.
>
> > and are available with up to a 200MHZ bus.
>
>They both have a 200mhz bus.  Not up to, but 200mhz.
>
>The FSB is 100 or 133 in both. (Not talking about DDR and new boards)

The FSB on the Athlon's EV6 bus is DDR. The FSB and bus, in this case, are
one in the same. The 133MHz Athlons (Not the ones with 133MHz memory--that
is unrelated--which may be what you are talking about in which case ignore
me) have a 133MHz bus thus have a 266MHz bus because it is DDR.
No Durons are shipped preconfigured to use a 133MHz(266MHz) FSB but they are
still perfectly capable as locn as they can overclock at least 33%. I guess
that considering FSB, the new Athlons with the faster bus have that
advantage in addition to the greater L2 cache size.
Err, in short:
Athlons and Durons can both use 100MHz or 133MHz RAM (be it DDR or not)
Athlons and Durons can have a 100MHz FSB by default without OCing. This is
unrelated to the memory clockspeed as they don't necessarily have to be
synchronous.
Only new Athlons are designed to work from the getgo with a 133MHz FSB.

Raise your hand if you can think of any way to make the situation even mroe
complex.