Date:      Sun, 11 May 2008 21:10:40 +0100
From:      Vince Hoffman <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@incunabulum.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Automounting USB sticks - questions

Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> I got this working quite easily with the amd daemon.
> Thanks to Alfred for your excellent work on this.  I wonder what the
> status of autofs is?
>
> It would be great if we could ship FreeBSD out of the box, ready to
> automount removable media. This would be useful to all users, but
> particularly for novices and people who just wanna get on and use the
> beast.
>
> Since the move to /media for a place to put removable mount points I'd
> imagine all of this gets a lot easier.
>
> However I can understand there are real issues with this:
>
> * /etc/amd.conf. We don't ship one in /etc by default. Maybe we should?

Speaking as someone who's never looked at amd before last week, this
would be great, or at least in /usr/share/examples/etc.

> * /etc/amd.map. We ship one which contains defaults and nothing more.
> Perhaps commented out examples?

Again I'd find that helpful. I spent 5 or 10 minutes looking into
setting up amd (Hardly indepth I know) and gave up because at the moment
its easier to manually mount my devices ;)