Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2012 15:48:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, "C. G." <funmol@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ASUS P5KPL-AM motherboard on-board sound laggs

C. G. <funmol@hotmail.com> wrote:
 > My motherboard's integrated sound chipset works, but when I watch a
 > film, it only works fluently when the film is in a small window. As
 > soon I enlarge the video player's window or maximize the film, the
 > sound laggs a lot, and the video, too. But I think the problem comes
 > from the sound driver and not from my graphics card nor it's driver
 > because it's an nVidia GeForce 9800GT which works perfectly and it's
 > driver, too. I don't have this problem with the same computer on
 > Linux or Windows, just FreeBSD.

I don't think your sound driver or audio hardware is to
blame.  The fact that the problem depends on the size of
the window indicates that it is probably related to the
2D video acceleration, i.e. hardware scaler.  I suspect
that you're using software scaling.

Please install the "xvinfo" tool from ports or packages.
It displays the status of the XVideo extension.  The
output should look like this for hardware acceleration:

   X-Video Extension version 2.2
   screen #0
     Adaptor #0: "Radeon Textured Video"

Of course the string ("Radeon") may vary, depending on
your graphics hardware.  If you get an error message or
a string indicating software rendering, then that's
causing your video playback problem.  In that case you
should check your Xorg configuration and maybe update
your Xorg video drivers.

Best regards
   Oliver

"A misleading benchmark test can accomplish in minutes
what years of good engineering can never do." -- Dilbert (2009-03-02)