Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:30:48 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, Holtor <holtor@yahoo.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DES & MD5?

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > So you can mix and match any passwords your crypt() knows how to parse. The
> > only problem is that standrd FreeBSD doesn't have a way to select which
> > password scheme you want: if you install the DES sources, you get DES
> > passwords, otherwise MD5, for your new passwords.
> >

> While certainly in the category of "evil temporary hack", I can say
> that /etc/auth.conf makes the above statement somewhat incorrect. :)

This isn't used currently, is it? I thought the support for that was removed
when the previous password changes back in January were backed out.

My patches I've been talking about add two login.conf capabilities:
localcipher and localcipherrounds, which determine the format of new passwords
(localcipherrounds is for things like blowfish and "New"-DES passwords which
have variable number of rounds. New-DES is the improved version of the DES
hashing algorithm which has been in the code forever, but #ifdef'ed out.)

So you can have a separate login class for users you want to share passwords
with your Sun boxes (old-DES format), have everyone else with SHA-1 passwords
and have the root password as 2^10-round blowfish, if you wish.

Kris

> - Jordan

-----
    -- Unknown