Date:      Sun, 07 Nov 1999 01:50:57 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: ppp questions

> 2 questions:
> 1.  how can i see the transfer rate or connect speed if i miss the one
> during login?  'show modem' shows the peak and average, but not the
> connection speed.

If you don't clock it at connection time, the info is lost.  Ppp
doesn't know anything specifically about modems and doesn't
understand anything in the dial chat.

Besides, it's up to the person to turn on the speed reporting, make
sure it's reporting the line speed and not the DTR speed, and to make
sure they look for a linefeed after the CONNECT so that the speed
string isn't lost.

All that aside, modems retrain their speed based on the quality of the
line.  The initial value is going to be wrong after a while and
there's no way that I know of to get the modem to say the current
line speed.

> 2.  also, what difference does it make if i include 'delete all' in
> ppp.linkup before 'add default HISADDR'?  And what difference does it make
> to add 'enable dns'?  It seems my connection works either way,
> notwithstanding the dropped connections, which i still haven't figured
> out... :(

Hey, that's 3 questions with a hint at a forth.  The ``delete all''
deletes all non-interface routes for the current tun interface.  It's
not usually necessary.

The ``enable dns'' confirms with the peer that the nameservers in
/etc/resolv.conf are ok.  The won't usually change, but it's worth
having this stuff enabled in case they do.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>