Date:      Sat, 25 May 2002 14:53:54 +0200
From:      Jochem Kossen <j.kossen@home.nl>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   optional dependencies

Hi folks,

One of my ports was just committed, audio/cplay. CPlay is a frontend to
various mp3/ogg/whatever players, and it's written in Python (i.e. it
doesn't need to be compiled).

So the issue is, should i list the various players as (optional)
RUN_DEPENDS or should I just create a pkg-message which says to install
at least one player?

Technically spoken, cplay runs without a single player, but then you
can't play any music. If I specify a single dependency on one player, i
have to make a choice which is always wrong...

What should I do? any advice?

Greets,

Jochem

P.S. Congratulations with the 7000 ports all!