Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:48:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@uni-duisburg.de>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video play back with SCSI DVD-ROMs

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Mark Weinem wrote:
> 	4.8-STABLE and
> 	PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-303
>
> I heard, that Video DVD and VCD play back  don't work with SCSI
> (DVD-)ROMs - because of CAM's fixed blocksize.
>
> But I can play Video DVDs here with mplayer, ogle and vlc (but it's to
> slow)
>
> With mplayer and VCDs, I get the following error message:
>
> 	CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> 	ioctl dif1: Invalid argument

CAM does not have a fixed block size.  You are seeing lack of support for
the CDRIOCSETBLOCKSIZE ioctl in cd(4).  This question comes up from time
to time and becomes a question of the duplication of cd(4) by atapicd.
The best thing for users is to probably go out and duplicate CD* ioctls in
cd(4) and later merge the two.

-Nate