Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 1995 14:08:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 52gb RAID, works, sorta.

> > There is an explicit limitation on file size because of the paging code.
>
> So then is b_avail the max size of a file, and not the available blocks on the
> device?  I.e. even though it reports 4gb, I should be able to place >4gb of
> files there?

No.  The b_avail is incorrectly calculated, per the last posting.

You can have more than 4G of files but no more than a 2G file if you
correct the 4-6 places where the calculation is incorrect.

Even then, there's a 39 and 41 bit limitation on disk size in several
more places.

The 2G file size limit can be pushed to 4G, but that assumes you fix
the sign extension issues on the quad for -1 returns from lseek and
use of the sign bit for indirect blocks (in the UFS code itself).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.