Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 22:02:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James Egelhof <jegelhof@cloud9.net>
To:        Jane Frodo <jfrodo42@hotmail.com>
Cc:        dhw@whistle.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Jane Frodo wrote:

> This is what *really* freaks me: I can check the binding on ypwhich,
> and I can see the NIS maps using all the standard tools, but the clients
> can't seem to use them for logging in or changing passwords...

First, you should upgrade your machines from 2.2.5 to 2.2.7.  We had a lot
of problems with yp on 2.2.5 that all went away with 2.2.6 (and 2.2.7).

1) Do a ypcat master.passwd as root and see if you see the passwords.  Try
doing a finger -m username and make sure you see appropriate information.
This way we will at least know you really are getting the maps correctly.

2) If you installed the special DES package on the NIS master, you must
also install that package on the NIS clients.  Otherwise the machines will
not be able to check entered passwords against the password file.  The
comparisons fail without any kind of warning or notice, which some people
might consider a bug.

-james

---

James Egelhof                                            jegelhof@cloud9.net
Cloud 9 Consulting, Inc.                                   +1 (914) 696-4000
White Plains, New York                                 http://www.cloud9.net