Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 18:20:24 -0400
From:      Jake <jake@checker.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   some ccd questions

Hi,
soon as I have the money I want to add a second hard drive
to my system, identical to the one I have now ( wd caviar AC22500 )
I'd like to configure part of it using the ccd driver,
namely my swap and /usr partitions.
I'm running a pretty recent build of -current.

Here's my plan:

root - wd0s1a	~50 megs
/var - wd2s1a	~50 megs
swap - ccd0c ; wd0s1b & wd2s1b	~64 megs each, 128 total
/usr - ccd1c ; wd0s1e & wd2s1e	~1 gig each, 2 gigs total

the letters might be wrong, I'm just extrapolating from my fstab
and the man page,  but you get the drift.

wd0s2 and wd2s2 will be fat32 partitions, for win95,
storage, my ftp site, etc...

Is this nuts?  Can the ccd driver stripe slices together?
all the examples are "ccdconfig ccd0 32 0 /dev/sd2e /dev/sd3e" ... no "s1"
Since it'll mostly be a random-access oriented workload I figured
I'd use a large interleave, maybe 65,536.  Should swap be the same?
Should I use the CCDF_SWAP ( 0x01 ) flag for swap?

I know this won't give me much of a performance boost in General Use,
seek time vs. sequential read/write performance
but I need the space, and I figured it would speed up make world and kernel
compiles.
Maybe I'll be able to capture video from my bt848 without the system being
completely bogged down by disk access.

Thanks...

Jake

--