Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 20:34:36 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Peter Ulrich (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, jdouglas@cjhost.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/lib/libc.so.1 not found

Peter Ulrich (Uli) Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de> types:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Operations <Jon Douglas> wrote:
> > I am trying to install some software but Keep Getting the error
> > ELF interpreter /usr/lib/libc.so.1 not found
> > Abort
> > How do I fix?
> Have a look if there is any other version of libc.so.x in /usr/lib
> If so, try to soft-link
> # ln -s libc.so.x libc.so.1

This kind of thing should only be used as a last resort.  You're
plugging in a library that may - or may not - be related to the
library the program is looking for. It's only safe to use a symlink
for providing an older minor version of a shared library: i.e., using
a symlink from 2.3.so for an application trying to find 2.2.so.
Changes in the major version mean something changed that broke
backwards compatability. If the something that changed isn't used by
the application, you're fine. If it is, your application is probably
going to fail in unpredictable - and possibly unobservable -
ways. When the minor number goes up, a new feature has been added, but
the old interfaces all work properly.  Something looking specifically
for x.y.so probably needs features that weren't in x.y-1.so. It may be
that it isn't, and the developer just happened to have that version,
you'll be fine.

See <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/handbook/policies-shlib.html
> for details on how shared library version numbers are supposed to
behave on FreeBSD.

> If that will not work, you have to find out where this library
> originally comes from (perhaps the compat distributions?).

It's in /usr/lib/compat/compat1x if you want to build it from the
source tree. Via /stand/sysinstall, it's the "FreeBSD 1.x binary
compatability" distribution.

Given the age of that distribution, you might want to look at getting
a newer version of the software you're trying to install.

	<mike