Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 1998 17:41:27 +0600
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <joy@urc.ac.ru>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   pkg_add from FTP repositary

Hi All.

I'm installing FreeBSD packages to my home computer from an FTP archive
at my office. (It is faster to download binaries than to download and
compile sources with my home processor and link speeds).

I'm using a URL as a parameter for pkg_add. But then I cannot
automatically install the packages which the first one depends on.
PKG_PATH is used only for local files. Of course, it is correct, because
searching files in FTP site is expensive.
But could pkg_add have a last resort option for trying to get a package
from some URL?
For example, it could have a -<letter> <URL-path> option. If it has not
found a package in PKG_PATH, it prepends a <URL-path> to the package
name,
and does the last try... Or an environment variable instead of an
option.
Comments?

--
	Konstantin V. Chuguev.		System administrator of
					Ural Regional Center of FREEnet,