Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:19:58 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Peter <fbsdq@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System Benchmarking/testing

Peter wrote:

> On 06/14/2001 2:05:35 PM, James Penick is quoted as saying:
>
> >> . . .|What's a good solution for testing/burning in the CPU and Memory of a
> >system? I've heard 'recompile the kernel' mentioned but that doesn't seem to
> >efficient. Any other ideas?
>
> .
>
> I've heard of 'burning' in the car engine, but do you also
> need to burn in the memory/cpu??
>
> [This is the first time I've ever heard of somethign even close to
> "burning" in the cpu/mem -- just curious].

Well, I don't call it "burn-in" but I do call it Quality Assurance. All
new servers I install get a build world done whether I've updated
sources or not. It pretty much tests out the whole system to make sure
all the HW is sound.

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?