Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:26:18 -0500
From:      steve farrell <spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu>
To:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: CTM back in sync.

ok -- i replaced my NE2000 with a 3C509, hoping with the guess that
a bad ethernet card was causing the lockups i was experiencing.

i have not had the card in nearly long enough to judge if this has
fixed the problem, but i did a few little benchmarks, and it tests
well (650K/sec).

but it's a little odder than that.

if i'm ftping to an nfs mounted filesystem (on solaris 2.5/sparc),
it gets about 100K/sec and makes the drive in the sparc gargle
quite a bit... almost thrash.  kind of odd, probably sun's fault =).

what i'm posting to this list about is a far odder occurence:
if i write to my EIDE disk, i get the aforementioned 650K/sec. but
if i write to my SCSI disk, i get an abysmal 20K/sec.  the system
is a 486 w/48Meg of ram, so i wonder if this is some odd effect of
having two cards attempting to do DMA through the bounce buffers?
it this expected behavior???  (the SCSI disks otherwise seem
to give normal performance...)

(system is -stable which i supped just before recompiling for the
3Com card -- i.e., about an hour ago - from sup.freebsd.org...)