Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 11:16:49 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        ejs@bfd.com, nate@mt.sri.com, phk@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw cannot do this...

#define quoting(Nate Williams)
// > > > I just found out one thing we need in ipfw, the ability to inverse the
// > > > sense of a rule:
// > > >
// > > > ipfw add deny not ip from 140.145.0.0 to any via ed0
// > > > ipfw add deny not ip from any to 140.145.0.0 via ed1
// > > >               ^^^
// > > > ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 23
// > > > ipfw add allow tcp from any to any 25
// > > > ...
// > > >
// > > > any takers ?
// > >
// > > I'm not sure I follow what you want.  What exactly are you trying to do?
// >
// > As someone that wants something like this, I think I can answer.  Quite a
// > few times, I've wanted to deny everything but a certain address range, and
// > then further restrict that address range.

I'd like this !!!

//
// Why not 'add' acceptance hosts and then restrict everything after that.

The acceptance list could be too big to be useful.

For example, how can I deny spoofing from a subnet ?

The standard rc.firewall suggests the follwoing piece of code:

/sbin/ipfw add deny all from ${inet}:${imask} to any in via ${oif}
/sbin/ipfw add deny all from ${onet}:${omask} to any in via ${iif}

But this would probably be better:

/sbin/ipfw add deny all from not ${inet}:${imask} to any in via     ${iif}
/sbin/ipfw add deny all from     ${inet}:${imask} to any in via not ${iif}

The second line in the first piece of code does not prevent all spoofing.

// Since ipfw goes until it gets a match, it'll work fine that way.
//
// This is how I'm doing it now.
//
// # Allow traffic to/from machine 1.2.3.4 only
// ipfw add allow tcp from 1.2.3.4 to any via ed0
// ipfw add allow tcp from any to 1.2.3.4 via ed0
// ipfw add deny log tcp from any to any via ed0

What if you want to restrict access based on tcp port ?

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@cisi.coppe.ufrj.br