Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 2000 18:53:20 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help? Device driver 'make depend' errors from comments

> Since I received exactly ZERO responses to my plea for help in making
> my network device driver a loadable module, I'm now trying to compile
> my driver into the kernel.

post, sorry, but feel free to pass it back off the list.

> Now this is a common codebase for this driver, which compiles fine
> for Windows and Linux, and, as mentioned above, it compiles fine
> (stand-alone) for FreeBSD.  So obviously it is syntactically-good
> C code for gcc, so why am I having all these problems?  There are
> over 50,000 lines of code, so please don't tell me to go changing
> all the comments and #if lines!   Any (other :) suggestions
> would be appreciated...

Oh joy.  It was probably written for MSVC in that case.  You're going to
have to compile as a module in order to get different compiler warning
flags; the code you're trying to build isn't really valid C and you'll
have to work around this.

Please let us look at your module problems again, and poke me
specifically about it if you're not getting answers.