Date:      Thu, 24 Jun 1999 08:28:03 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Tetsuya Watanabe <tetsuya1@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL question after I searched mail archives and still have  questions re DSL

Tetsuya Watanabe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Even though I searched the mailing lists archives with "adsl AND dhcp,"
> I still have some confusion about setting up a DHCP client connected to
> an ADSL line.
>
> According to a local telco rep,
> Line type: ADSL ( it is NOT G.Lite.)
> Config    : DMT
> Modem     : External one utilizing an RJ45 10B-T connector and POT
> connector
> Modem<->PC: Ether. I can use any 10BT nic in my pc.
> IP assgn. : dynamic
> IP lease period: not known, but to be known later.
>
> Question:
> 1) I wonder if FreeBSD3.2 with isc-dhcp can be configured to work with
> DMT type ADSL in the environment, which I mentioned at the top?

FreeBSD doesn't know about the ADSL, it just sees a router.  Your "ADSL
modem" is really an ethernet to ATM router, and should answer the DHCP
request for you.  Doesn't it?

> 2) Is there any restriction when I want to add a LAN and make the adsl
> client as gw?

Only if your telco has limited the number of DHCP client addresses
you are allowed.  If that is true, you'll need to configured NAT on
a machine with two network cards, one connected to the LAN and one
to the DSL router.  The line to the DSL router will be the "public"
interface and the LAN connection the "private" interface.