Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 09:36:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Douglas Ambrisko <ambrisko@tcs.com>
To:        gpalmer@freefall.cdrom.com (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        rcarter@geli.com, davidg@Root.COM, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: wcarchive down

Gary Palmer writes:

| In message <199504200518.WAA03907@geli.clusternet>, "Russell L. Carter" writes:
| >This is a helluva commitment to FreeBSD, might be messy to begin with but
| >will likely root out many of those hard to find bugs right quick, with long
| >term benefits for the community.
|
| And in the meantime, every time wcarchive goes down, Walnut Creek's name
| get's slightly muddier. We were origionally waiting for 2.1 to come out, and
| be properly tested, etc, etc, before even thinking of touching wcarchive,
| but it spamming it's /dev/*sd* entries well enough so that we can't even
| re-mount the root filesystem read-write kinda forced our hands.
|
| Yes, it'll force a lot of obscure bugs into the open, but debugging wcarchive
| isn't easy as we don't normally have any console access...
Gee, sounds like time to use the new serial console mode.  I've been using it
on my server and it works great.  I have it setup so I can tip into it to
grab the console etc, as such it now lives in my closet without a monitor or
keyboard.  Another thing you can use DTR from you tip host to trigger a hard
reset to it incase you need to reset it remotely.  To do this it just requires
a diode and maybe a couple of resistors.  It works great.  This also makes
for a great debugging environment (build your kernel on your fast work-station,
boot the kernel from the network and test it through the serial console)  Now
you can work from anywhere.

Doug A.