Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:13:38 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spring Break and CardBus

In message <200003142052.PAA15847@cs.rpi.edu> "David E. Cross" writes:
: Spring break has descended upon me, and I find myself with less overwork,
: enough so that I think I can finish up an alpha CardBus port in this next
: week.  What I need is some answers to a couple of questions.  The first
: is regarding resource allocation.  Normally this is done for us by the
: BIOS when it walks the PCI bus is my understanding.  This is,
: understandably, not possible with something dynamic like CardBus.

Cool.  there's another cardbus thing in Japan, but it has a lot of
problems with it.  If you could have something that works in that
short a time frame, great!

There's some pcibios routines that will do the resource allocation for
you at the bridge level.  These are what you want to learn.  Netbsd
has a bunch of routines to do this, and I seem to recall seeing them
in FreeBSD.

: What I have is a card is inserted into socket 0, it asks for 4k of memory
: space, and 16 bytes of IO space.  I need to allocate this space out of the
: pool available to its parent controller (also, in some cases I need to
: allocate it to the parent controller in the first place).  How do I do this?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.  If you are asking what
do you do about the newbus way to do this, I can help.

: What about IRQ binding?

Just pick one.  Make it shared if you like.  The pcibios things will
help you here.  The newbus stuff may need some help here...

: As above mentioned, I sometimes need to configure the parent controller
: itself... in these cases I also need to assign PCI bus numbers... how
: do I do this?

This is definitely a pcibios thing, iirc.

Warner