Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 1999 11:43:52 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        wwoods@cybcon.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Silo Overflows on Alpha......

> On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
>  William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com> wrote:
>
>  > I have an Alphastation 200 4/233 running 3.2-R (I am TRYING to cvsup to
>  > 3.3-Stable) and I keep getting silo overflows when connected to the net with an
>  > external modem at anything over 9600.
>
> NetBSD's `com' driver uses a split interrupt scheme to help this a little,
> and can do 56k on the Alpha pretty easily.  However, above that, it still
> gets overruns due to the OSF/1 PALcode's interrupt scheme; all interrupts
> are routed to what is effectively one interrupt level in the PSL sense; there
> are actually two, but since you have no way of knowing what processor IRQ
> is routed to which IPL, and no way to program the routing yourself, you
> have to block both in order to block "I/O interrupts".

The Linux folks seem to take over the interrupt hardware themselves;
this is probably the only way to get any sort of decent performance,
but I'm not sure how far-reaching the implications of this are.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org