Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2018 18:28:53 +0000
From:      B J <va6bmj@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panics With Firefox 63.x

On 11/13/18, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Nov 2018 16:44:04 +0000, B J wrote:
>> I recently upgraded my system and that included Firefox.  It's been
>> troublesome ever since.  Often, it would crash for no apparent reason
>> and this morning, it started taking down my entire system.  The result
>> was that my machine would have to reboot.
>>
>> Now I can't use Firefox at all without having my machine going into a
>> kernel panic.
>
> Could you get any useful information from the kernel dump?

I haven't looked at it in detail.  From the info file in /var/crash:

Panic String:  ufs_dirbad:  /:  bad dir ino 719 at offset 512:  mangled entry

The core.txt file gives a lot more information in detail.

>> My machine is more than 10 years old and I think it runs 32 bits.  The
>> OS is FreeBSD 11.2 and I'm using Mate as a desktop.
>
> Same here - the machine is quite old and runs 32 bit, which
> is intended (2 GB RAM, no requirement for 64 bit at all,
> trouble with nVidia driver). Needless to say, I'm _not_
> using Firefox on that particular machine (I prefer Opera).
>

>> Any suggestions?  Thanks.
>
> Others than replacing Firefox with a better browser? ;-)
>
> What you could do: Re-install Firefox (most recent version).
> Also make sure all of its dependencies are up to date. In
> worst case, it's "just" a memory leak.

I re-installed it using pkg but that didn't do any good.

> Check if the Firefox + system crashes happen when visiting
> "complicated pages" (i. e., those involving lots of JS, or
> those containing FLV, MP4 or WebM media content).

For some reason, the last few versions I've been running on that
machine have had problems with YouTube videos.  Most of the crashes
after my last system upgrade have occurred when I'm viewing one.

This morning, I couldn't even start FF without it crashing my machine.
I'm thinking that some configuration file might be corrupted but I
haven't the foggiest as to where to look for it.

Right now, I'm building FF from ports.  Maybe that'll help.  As for
Opera, I've never really liked it and the version I installed using
pkg (Opera 12) is reaching the end of its service life.  I can't even
view YouTube videos with it.

As an aside, I've got almost the identical system installed on another
hard drive on my machine.  I launched it with no problem.  I also have
another machine set up the same way:  2 FreeBSD systems on separate
HDs.  I tried FF with one of them and it launched without  problem.

This is a bit of a head-scratcher.....

BMJ