Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 2002 15:21:48 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop)" <mraught@acm.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: can't assign resources -- Sound problem?

> Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 18:05:19 -0500
> From: "Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop)" <mraught@acm.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Hello all,
>     I am running 4.x stable and getting some weird errors on boot. I've
> been getting them for a while (since 4.1 or 4.2) I first noticed them
> when I got the sound to work, but they may have been coming up
> beforethen, and  I decided, finally, to look into them. I think it may
> have something to do with the sound since it is detected in the middle
> of the errors, but I'm not sure. Information follows:
>
> The laptop is a Compal TS30T which is the same as a Dell Inspiron 3500
> or an HP OmniBook 4150. It has 160MB of RAM.
>
> flash:data# uname -a
> FreeBSD data.mraught.homeip.net 4.7-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.7-PRERELEASE
> #0: Tue Sep  3 06:22:06 EST 2002
> root@data.mraught.homeip.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DATA  i386
>
> and the relevant part of the dmesg:
> <all normal>
> ppc0: parallel port not found.
> unknown: <PNP0000> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources
> pcm0: <CS423x> at port 0x530-0x537,0x388-0x38b,0x220-0x22f irq 9 drq 0,1
> on isa0
> unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0510> can't assign resources
> unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources
> IPsec: Initialized Security Association Processing.
> </all normal>
>
> I can post the whole dmesg if anyone is interested or thinks it matters.
> The only other things I can think of that may make a difference is a
> Linksys wireless card and X is still 3.x since I have cvsup'ed since
> before 4.x was the included standard. (and since 3.x caused me some
> problems I'm sure 4.x would too. But I sure love Blackbox)

The first simply tells you that the parallel port was not found. This
may be because it does not exist, because the port is not enabled in
BIOS, or because the device is not in the config. (I doubt the
latter.)

The unknown PNP devices are "normal" if you have "options PNPBIOS" in
your kernel. I prefer not to use that option and have never seen a
good reason to do so.

The pcm0 message is the sound card with a Crystal Sound 423X chip.

Other than the lack of a parallel port (which you might not need), I
don't see anything significant here.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)