Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 1997 01:34:04 -0500
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycorc@idt.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Libretto 50 - US Version and PAO

Mike Smith wrote:

> > In message <199711050303.NAA00657@word.smith.net.au> Mike Smith writes:
> > : At this point in time, it certainly seems to be the best chipset to
> > : look for in a portable from the free-software point of view.
> >
> > How do you get it to use the monitor and/or switch back and forth?
>
> Keyboard hotkeys.  At least on the Toshiba and Sharp systems I have
> access to these hit the SMI interrupt, which is handled by the BIOS.

What is an 'SMI' interrupt?  I've never heard of that one...
And are you saying that the BIOS can be (is) used _while_ running FreeBSD?
I thought that wasn't possible - or is that only an 'old' limitation?
(I don't track -current ...)

On a different (but somewhat related :) note: could you please tell me what
the key sequence is to switch *back* to the X screen after you've switched
over to a text mode virtual terminal?  I never did find it in the docs
I have, and thought one of you might know off the top of your head...

Thanks,
Gary