Date:      Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:59:18 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: Upcoming Releases

On 09/03/2016 22:54, Doug Hardie wrote:

>> On 7 March 2016, at 16:23, Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:
>>
>> What I was hoping to find was some form of informal, preliminary
>> version of the release notes or announcements for 10.3 and 11.  I
>> seem to recall some sort of discussion of that back when the
>> decision was made to drop bind from the base.  I wasn't able to
>> find it though.
>
> I recently saw a comment in one of the maillists that 11.0 was
> likely to have the new packetized base feature.  That tells me that
> 11.0 is most likely to be dicey to work with.  I am reminded when
> the new pkg system came out and the supporting servers were
> compromised.  It caused me a lot of issues.  I still have one
> production server I can't upgrade the ports as its setup for the
> temporary solution.  I can't recall what I changed and making it
> look like the working systems doesn't help.  Thus, I will skip 11.0
> and wait for the dust from that to settle.  I'll be upgrading to
> 10.3 in June.

It's always worth remembering the old bit of computing folklore that IBM
defined "the lunatic fringe" as those who took the x.0 release of any
software.

When 11.0 comes out I'll wait a week to see if there are any loud
screams and then try it out on my desktop, as boot environments make it
easy to roll back. If it tests out OK, then I'll deploy it to my
servers. Unlike many other pieces of software, I've rarely had any
problems with an x.0 release of FBSD, which says a lot about the release
team's competence. Most of the problems I've seen raised come from
people not reading the release notes properly, like the "what's happened
to bind?" problems with 10.0.

--
Moore's Law of Mad Science: Every eighteen months, the minimum IQ
necessary to destroy the world drops by one point.