Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 17:53:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      cau@cc.gatech.edu (Carlos Ugarte)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   help writing a new SCSI device driver

Hi there,

A few months back I asked for some help/pointers in writing
a device driver for a currently unsupported SCSI host adapter
(Future Domain 16xx, using the TMC-18xx chipset).  Unfortunately,
I haven't been able to start on it until now, and I have a few
questions...

I've looked through the new (red) daemon book, through the ddwg
tutorial at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials, through some of the
existing drivers (seagate.c, aha1542.c, aic6360.c), and through
some of the SCSI header files (/sys/scsi/...).  From these,
I've got a pretty good idea of what some things are (xx_probe(),
xx_attach(), the structures) but not others.  This is the first
time I'm writing anything SCSI; I've also been reading part of
the SCSI drafts.

Could someone give me a description of the following?  I'd like
to know what they are supposed to do (description, what to return,
whatever).

-xx_init() - is this required?  I see it in the drivers, but not
             as one of the elements of the scsi_* structures...
-xx_scsi_cmd()
-xx_minphys()
-xx_adapter_info()
-xxintr()
-KVTOPHYS, PHYSTOKV
-splbio(), splx(), other spl() calls

I'm using the Linux driver as well as an older (apparently
nonworking) version of a driver for the FD-1670 sent me by
Julian Elischer as a base for my work.  If anyone has any
suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them (drivers/SCSI/etc).

Thanks in advance.

Carlos

--
Carlos A. Ugarte                                cau@cc.gatech.edu
Author of PageMage, a virtual desktop util for OS/2