Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:14:23 -0500
From:      "Michael W. Oliver" <michael@gargantuan.com>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPU speed not reported correctly

--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F

On 2004-12-30T09:52:51-0500, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Michael W. Oliver said:

> > When booting cold, the same speed is reported -- 801.83-MHz.  Yes, this
> > is a laptop (Sager 4750-V).

> > entire output of `dmesg -a':
> > http://michael.gargantuan.com/yabbse/index.php?action=3Ddlattach;topic=
=3D309.0;id=3D17

> > other info about this laptop:
> > http://michael.gargantuan.com/yabbse/index.php/board,44.0.html

> This is normal for AMD laptops. I have an Emachine M5310, and the CPU
> speed varies on it. If i right click on my computer in Windows XP, the
> reported frequency is almost always different. Strangely enough in FreeBSD
> its always the max though, i belive this technology may require a proper
> driver for the frequency to be adjusted. I would check your BIOS settings.

Thanks Mike.

The BIOS on this laptop is unusually sparse, and I don't see any options
with regards to the CPU.

So, is there something deep inside this machine, either in BIOS or CPU
or ??? that throttles the CPU based on load?  I have noticed that the
fan speed goes up and down depending on what I am doing.  I don't see
any throttling stuff in `sysctl hw.acpi' like I do on my P2 laptop, so
does that mean that CPU throttling is not something that I can control?

Also, since the throttling seems to be out of my hands, is it possible
that the CPU is actually running at 2.2GHz when it needs to, depending
on load?

I know that amd64 is a growth area, and I don't expect it to be as rich
as i386 is... yet.  I am not a programmer, but I follow directions
pretty well and am willing to help further FreeBSD's amd64 support in
any way that I can.

--=20
Michael W. Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]

--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F

--IrhDeMKUP4DT/M7F--