Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:33:58 +0800 (SGT)
From:      chas <panda@peace.com.my>
To:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>, <leifn@internet.dk>, <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Only allow delivery of mail to users in aliases

>>Two questions:
>>
>>1: Do these users need to be in /etc/passwd, or can qpopper use its own
>>password file?
>>
>You'll need to modify both sendmail & qpopper to use an alternate passwd
>file.
>
>>2: If users need to be in /etc/passwd, how can we stop mail from being
>>delivered to users only in /etc/passwd, not in /etc/aliases?
>>
>You could put all these users into a file, and then use sendmail rules to
>deny mail to these users.
>
>I don't know how to implement either answer, but I do know that it can be
>done.

Cyrus IMAPd does not necessarily require users in /etc/passwd in
order for them to have a mailbox. (and plus you can offer IMAP
mailboxes - more value add for customers perhaps).

Cyrus is distributed with a choice of 2 authentication methods :
1) Using the unix passwd file (which you have said that you do not
   wish to do)
2) Using Kerberos (which is, for some of us, more hassle that we can
   do without).

However, the authentication is done via a small program called
pwcheck. This seems easily hackable (though I've made a total
balls up of it over the past 2 weeks) to use any of the following :
1) Radius authentication (i know a guy on a linux list who has
   the mods for this)
2) A different password file (look at getpwnam)
3) A mysql database (someone on the FBSD-questions list mentioned
   this - i haven't seen the mods myself though. anyone else ?)
4) LDAP. Check http://www.wwa.com/~donley/
   Yes, I know that LDAP is not an authentication protocol per se...
   but you can use it as such.

I've been trying (4) above but keep crapping out on the compile.
If anyone has got this working, please could they let me know ?
It seems pretty straightforward but my C knowledge has atrophied
to less than nothing.

Bottomline, Cyrus is a seriously cool piece of software
and I suspect your solution lies there - especially since the
you mentioned the use of mysql.

http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/

chas