Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:37:38 +0800
From:      "Tan Juay Kwang" <jk.tan@pacific.net.sg>
To:        "Lorin Lund" <fbsd@wbs-inc.com>, "Piotr Kryszk" <piotrk@olsztyn.tpsa.pl>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: hardware requirements

Speaking from my own experience, I once had a P166 w/64MB of ram with FBSD
4.0. It ran absolutely fantastic as my home natd machine. I tried FVWM95 and
it's acceptable but NS4 is a no-no. It will swap like nobody's biz. Later, I
boost the amount of RAM up to 256MB, at a time when a 128MB SDRAM stick cost
SGD17 (roughly US$10). The machine flies. Now I can even run KDE + Opera5
with no swapping and performance is really good, for a P166 that is. I even
crunch seti@home in the background :)

To the original poster, I think you can forget about KDE/Gnome. FVWM would
be a more realistic WM and perhaps Opera. But like somebody else mentioned,
Opera is not free, although you can use it in a freeware mode but you'll get
the Advert bar on top, something which you may find intrusive.

Regards,
Juay Kwang