Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:22:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
To:        txtad@yahoo.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Technical Comparasin 'tween FreeBSD and Linux

> I have often heard FreeBSD is better than Linux in many ways, but I
> have never seen these quantified.
> Does there exist a technical
> comparasin between FreeBSD and Linux that quantifies these?
> I am  interested in technical facts only, not things like the cohesiveness of
> the FreeBSD development effort vs. Linux (though that certainly is an
> important factor in favor of FreeBSD).

Yes, occasionally you will find benchmarks, like these ones

   http://innominate.org/%7Etgr/projects/tuning
   http://perl.pattern.net/bench

but to be honest, while I love to see FreeBSD win and hate see FreeBSD lag
behind, these comparisions are really only of limited value.

We are dealing between a mostly friendly competition between open sourced
operating systems. At one point in time Linux leads for a certain
feature, at another FreeBSD does.

While the GPL makes it harder for use to get back, in general good ideas
are exchanged and show up in the other system sooner or later.

Because of this it makes a lot of sense to concentrate on the fundamental
differences, as are
 - License
 - development structure
 - support
 - and social issues (what, you like to develop with *these* folks?? :).

A good article on that is this one

    http://www.daemonnews.org/200006/dadvocate.html

by Greg Lehey, the stuff I mean starts a bit below the I lOVE YOU section.

Regards,
Marc