Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:45:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Neil Bradley <neil@synthcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.4 motherboard/drive recommendations

I'm about to embark on putting together a "made for FreeBSD 3.4" system
and would like recommendations from the peanut gallery. It handles a few
dialin lines, a bunch of storage for about 10 clients, web services,
routing, firewall, mail, news, etc... It is headless and a nice video card
isn't necessary (would be a waste) Here's what I'm thinking of so far:

Supermicro P6DGS (Dual PIII - up to 600MHZ - onboard Adaptec 7895)
20G Ultra-wide drive of some sort (fast - recommendations anyone?)
128MB PC100 DIMM (maybe more)
2 Intel 82559 ethernet boards (already working with FreeBSD 3.2)

I'm sold on the P6DGS as my motherboard of choice at this time (unless
there's an overwhelming reason to consider others, like the P6DGS doesn't
work with FreeBSD).

What I want is a solid, fast responding, high disk throughput machine. If
anyone can recommend a specific 7200RPM/10000RPM Ultra Wide SCSI drive
that works well, please let me know. Thank you!

-->Neil