Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:40:16 -0500
From:      Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com>
To:        "<freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Imposing ZFS latency limits

<killing@multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
>=20
>>=20
>> Interesting, what metrics where you using which made it easy to =
detect,
>> work be nice to know your process there Mark?
>=20
> One reason is that our virtual machine performance gets awful and we =
get alerted for higher than usual load and/or disk io latency by the =
hypervisor. Another thing we've implemented is watching for some SCSI =
errors on the server too. They seem to let us know before it really gets =
bad.
>=20
> It's nice knowing ZFS is doing everything within its power to read the =
data off the disk, but when there's a fully intact raidz it should be =
smart enough to kick a disk out that's being problematic.

What hypervisor are you using? Is it with a passive JBOD?

There are other situations where a disk is not failing that you may not =
get constant read performance, such as when a disk is undergoing thermal =
recalibration, being scanned for diagnostics, etc. Any sort of realtime =
database or streaming application could benefit from better latency =
control.

It's possible that we have no control over this, and are subject to =
whatever features Oracle decides to include or omit from ZFS.

	- .Dustin