Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:49:56 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Stephen Krauth <stephenk@stephenk.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you stop printing?

Stephen Krauth writes:
> I tried to cancel a huge print job, with extremely frustrating results.
> First mistake: I turned off that printer; that simply made it print single
> lines of garbage on each page.  Then I tried 'lprm', which claimed to
> remove the job; I killed -9 lpd and the accompanying other process for
> apsfilter.  I unplugged the printer, several times.  The *ONLY* thing that
> would stop the madness was rebooting freebsd.
>
> What's the deal?  Was some device buffer filled by the kernel and simply
> unclearable no matter what?  How do you stop this?

Removing the job with lprm just takes it out of the queue, it doesn't
do anything to the running daemon. For that, you use lpc. The lpc
command "lpc abort <printer>" will terminate the active job on the
that printer and disable the printer. You might want to do "lpc", and
then "abort <printer>", so you can do things like "clean <printer>"
and "start <printer>" to get the printer works again. You may need to
do an lprm while the printer is down to remove the job from the queue.

Be warned that aborting the print job doesn't stop the printer - it
just stops the daemon from sending data to it. On a modern printer
with lots of memory, you may want to power cycle and/or reset the
printer before starting it again.

	<mike