Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 95 16:19:59 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: *** locks in NFS, does FreeBSD have them ***

> Our Solaris system is complaining about FreeBSD nfs not using locks.
>
> Is this an error in communication, or is it so that FreeBSD has no locks
> and data in exported partion can be corrupted if bouth nfs user and local
> user are updating data?

FreeBSD does not have NFS locks (lockd + statd).

However, since there is not a coherency protocol in force and your Solaris
does client caching, you are in danger of this type of corrupts even going
from Solaris to Solaris (this is why Sun recommends mail files always be
accessed locally).

What are you trying to use this for such that you see an error?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.