Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 01:07:11 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Ben" <ben@stonehenge-net.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SSHD Problems...

Why is it wrong/bad to use Apache?  Why is it wrong/bad to
use HylaFAX?

The answer is, it's not. Neither is it wrong/bad to be more
secure.  But, Apache and HylaFAX are not forced on you by
being installed and activated by default in sysinstall, as
part of the FreeBSD installation program.

Why do I want them shut off?  Well, in the case of sshd, I don't
mind that it's there or available, but I do mind that when
I install a fresh FreeBSD copy on a slower machine that on
initial boot, the system is frozen for several minutes while
it's generating keys for something that I won't use.  Very
sloppy.

As far as MD5 passwords go, that's a lot more serious.  In one
net I use a mix of Solaris and FreeBSD.  The Solaris I use won't
read MD5 passwords.  If I allow the FreeBSD system to start
encrypting passwords based on MD5, then I'll never ever be able
to copy the password file from FreeBSD to a Solaris box ever again.

It's one thing to repair a software defect that creates a security
hole in FreeBSD (like the named problem)  It's another to change
around FreeBSD in a fundamental way just to support someone's
pet security system (like Kerberos does)