Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 2020 13:36:01 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cross compile FreeBSD on amd64 for arm64 failes via compile determination error

--4tlIXWxt14LHIr6Y4o5PpFtp1WMLbsiHh

--GxwiOmrcg3LbGeqzPxp8Sny5tzVWlMUUf

On 06/06/2020 10:56, Mark Murray wrote:
>=20
>> On 6 Jun 2020, at 00:25, Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>> You cannot do that.  The installworld process uses a path that points
>> into the obj tree that got built (so that new binaries are used to do
>> the install work), and those binaries are compiled for the arch that
>> did the build.
>=20
> That is my experience.
>=20
> I used to work around a closely related problem when I built build* on
> a fast machine, and did the install* on the slow ones. As I was using
> automounts, I ended up with incompatible paths baked into the build,
> so I worked around those with symlinks.
>=20
> I never tried this with anything other than i386/i386 or amd64/amd64,
> so the above is interesting. Could a viable cross-build* be "fixed" by
> symlinks, and somehow and easily forcing a cross-build of the bootstrap=

> tools?
>=20
> My RPis wish to know :-)

Or you could just `make packages` on your fast builder machine and then
use pkg(8) to install on your slow machines.

Either NFS mount the repository directory, or stand up a fairly simple
webserver to provide the packages over your network.

This also will allow you to prune out a lot of debug symbols and other
bits and pieces you probably won't want eating up space on something
like an RPi

	Cheers,

	Matthew