Date:      Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:11:24 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fbsd & commerce (Re: Informix on FreeBSD (maybe))

[Redirected to -chat; too much cross-posting going on these days as
 it is! :)]

> system support.  What would FreeBSD's "official" stand be if I
> started charging for the os?  Something like:
>
>           The AEI FreeBSD Operating System:
>               $X,XXX loaded and installed
>               $X,XXX for 12 months of OS maintenance, including
>                      os upgrades
>               $X,XXX for System Administration training

Sounds fine to me!  As long as you're also willing to make sure the
client understands that the base product is free and they're
essentially paying for your time and services so we don't get even
MORE people coming up at trade shows saying "So how come if it's
*FREE*BSD, you charge money for it?!" [looking down at the $39.95
price tag of the CD set].  I hate that. :)

> How would the FreeBSD Project feel if they found some rogue
> company in Austin was charging for FreeBSD, installing, training,
> and support?

Sounds like a value-add to me!

					Jordan