Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 21:28:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: ** Spang! ** 951026-SNAP updated.

On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Bugs fixed:
>
> 	o Atapi boot floppy now assumes it's alone by itself on the second
> 	  IDE controller - this seems to work a lot better for most folks
> 	  who were provided with dedicated controllers when they purchased
> 	  their IDE CDROMS.  People with IDE disks on multiple IDE
> 	  controllers should NOT use this floppy image.  Stick with boot.flp
> 	  and build a custom kernel or something.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news (again!) but the atapi.flp now
doesn't even recognize my second IDE controller!  In fact, it gives the
exact same error message "wdc1 not found at 0x170" that the non-ATAPI
boot.flp bootdisk gives me, leading me to suspect that you somehow forgot
to uncomment "options ATAPI" or "device wcd0" when you made this boot
disk.  Could it be that you accidentally made atapi.flp with
the same config file as boot.flp? :-) Hopefully, it was a simple mistake in
the config file, and not Yet Another ATAPI Problem!

If I'd known there would be so much TROUBLE with ATAPI I would've gone
SCSI, but all the other OS's I've used supported it just fine, so I don't
know what the problem is (that is, compared to all the other brain-damaged
PC hardware I've seen!).  At any rate, thanks for trying!  Has anyone else
(with an ATAPI CD-ROM drive on the second controller) tried this newest
(Oct.30) boot floppy?!?

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL