Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:31:20 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Stefan Blachmann <sblachmann@gmail.com>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@puchar.net>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,  George Mitchell <george+freebsd@m5p.com>, Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Confusing smartd messages

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018, 11:13 AM Stefan Blachmann <sblachmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another problem issue is that flash memories also exhibit the charge
> drain problem.
> They cannot be read indefinitely without occasional rewrite, as every
> read drains a minuscule amount of the charge.

It usually takes ~500k reads to hit this issue.

I often wished I knew of some OS/driver function/mechanism which can
> rewrite respective refresh media on a mounted+running system and could
> be, for example, run via cron.

The FTL is supposed to take care of that. They typically have a scanning
function that moves the data when it decays enough to be of concern...
doing it at the LBA later is unlikely to produce satisfactory results.

Such would not only be very useful to fix pending sectors without
> stopping a running machine, but also for keeping embedded machines'
> flash memories reliably charged over the years.

Not really..

Warner