Date:      27 Sep 2002 11:46:13 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Inge Thorin =?iso-8859-1?q?Eids=E6ther?= <webdude@phreaker.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading ports from sources outside ports tree

Inge Thorin Eidsæther <webdude@phreaker.net> writes:

> Is there some manual way to do it that does not require me to be
> an experienced programmer?

I doubt it, if you're not willing to get your hands dirty learning to
decipher Makefiles as are used by ports.  It doesn't take a very long
time to learn enough to manange occasional successful kludging.  See the
make and gmake manuals and O'Reilly has a very small book on make and
Google should find you several intros and tutorials.

In this case, you've at least got the problem of the patches in
ports/www/mod_php4/files/.  You'd probably need to examine them and
try to determine which have been fixed in the new source (after
doing "make extract" to get the source into work/).  I suppose you
could try just deleteing the patches, but some might be there to
implement FreeBSD-isms or something.

If decide to get your hands really dirty, you'll want to consult
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html