Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:52:10 +0200
From:      Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
To:        jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG, releng@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-RELEASE in 12 hours

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 09:24:41PM +1000, jason andrade wrote:

> hmm.  well, it's been about 10 hours now and i haven't seen anything appearing
> yet, so i'm assuming this is going to be towards the latter part of those 12
> hours :-)

> > > ftp.freebsd.org mirrors from ftp-master every 6 hours, but I guess
> > > it probably takes some hours to transfer the data from ftp-master
> > > to ftp
>
> i guess my point was once it starts appearing everyone will swamp ftp.freebsd.org
> and/or the other main mirrors.. 6 hours seems reasonable.  do you guys have an
> estimate on how long it takes to mirror a release ?

Not really, when packages was transferred for one of the RC's the
transfer rate was approx 150 kB/s

> more out of curiousity - it's sometimes taken 2-3 days to get a single
> ISO image from the previous ftp.freebsd.org for me. i estimate a
> full 4.4 release will take approximately a week to get mirrored into
> australia - so expect to see a very large number of australian users
> hitting your site in denmark, via the USA's network..

Probably, shouldn't be a problem.

> > I've seen a couple of mirrors that were running 3 or 4 rsyncs in
> > parallel on the same file... each one corrupting the work that the
> > others were doing and causing the file to be trashed and start all
> > over again next time around etc.
>
> i don't believe *any* mirror should have more than one rsync or cvsup
> or ftp connection on a regular basis (two perhaps, for short term
> stuff, e.g a fetch is happening and one session is being used to ls
> or generate listings) to ftp-master as this provides for inequity of
> access to all mirrors.

Agree, I think Peter was referring to the fact that unless you
have locking, you might start a new rsync from cron before the
first finishes.

> > Many people seem to be having more success with cvsup vs. rsync -z
> > on the large .iso files.
>
> i would recommend turning off compression support myself, since i've
> found it has little benefit except on archives of mainly text files
> and causes more trouble than its worth on the server and the client
> end.

Same here.

/Jesper

Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)