Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:27:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
Cc:        Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>, Jesper Skriver <jesper@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail IO--qmail vs postfix competition

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> Forgot to add info about the mailers. Each has a hardware raid controller
> with about 32MB of memory on the controller configured to RAID-1 2HDs for
> redundancy. Ideally, the mail never actually hits the disk but resides
> exclusively in memory.

	Aha. That explains it. You use HW raid. I wondered why you were
only doing 4 million mails for *30* boxes. Dan, is doing 500K, on a
completely idle box (cpu/ram/I/O wise), with vinum, Postfix, and RAID-0.
Have you seen brad knowles papers on vinum vs HW raid? It's erm
enlightening to say the least :) Id be happy to dig up the URL if you are
interested. I personally will be using Vinum from now on. The performance
is very impressive.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"