Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 2003 00:45:39 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Danny <lists@brenius.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.7R - Kernel Compile (old way)  "Error code 1"

On 2003-01-24 17:32, Danny <lists@brenius.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying to build a custom kernel, but I recieved a stop error after
> (90% sure it was) executing "make" - based on the "old way" instructions
> in the handbook (printed out, but it maybe a release or two old).
>
> Please let me know if any further information is required.

There is nothing wrong with the "old way" if you haven't touched the
sources since your last buildworld.  You are obviously missing stuff
that is required for SCSI support.  Try copying GENERIC and making
modifications to it one step at a time.  Your current config fil is
too different for someone to check for missing options :-(

> opt_global.h -elf  -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2  vers.c linking kernel
> scsi_low.o: In function `scsi_low_cam_rescan_callback':
> scsi_low.o(.text+0x1e7): undefined reference to `xpt_free_path'
> scsi_low.o: In function `scsi_low_rescan_bus_cam':
> scsi_low.o(.text+0x233): undefined reference to `xpt_periph'
> scsi_low.o(.text+0x23c): undefined reference to `xpt_create_path'
> scsi_low.o(.text+0x24f): undefined reference to `xpt_setup_ccb'
> scsi_low.o(.text+0x26a): undefined reference to `xpt_action'
[...]
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/RANCIDKRN.
> rancid#

Right now, it seems that you're missing at least "device pass" and
related stuff...  I'd recommend starting over by:

	# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	# cp GENERIC RANCID

then make a few modifications to RANCID and build your kernel:

	# vi RANCID
	# config -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RANCID RANCID
	# cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RANCID
	# make depend && make clean && make all

and move on...

- Giorgos